15/10/18 - 21:07 PM

Author Topic: Angola - Tackle - Spinners/Poppers/Spoons etc  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Simen

• Administrator
  • Born to fish, forced to work.
    • www.anglersdigest.co.za
Angola - Tackle - Spinners/Poppers/Spoons etc
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
Angola - Tackle - Spinners/Poppers/Spoons etc

Below is examples of the tackle I take to Angola fishing when fishing from Tombwa south to the Kunene river mouth.

Please do not rush to the nearest tackle dealer and buy the same numbers or even the same brand as displayed in the pictures. I have accumulated tackle over the years.

Rather  compare the tackle you have with the ones displayed and only then decide your path forward.

Also tackle I use could differ 100% from what the other guy uses.

This topic is created as a guideline of what I suggest you will need (in comparison) when doing a fishing trip in Angola.

Spinners, poppers, plugs and spoons.

With all the previous trips to Angola the tackle you see displayed in the pictures of ones we had success with. here is no golden rule regarding type, colour, size or brand.

I will however make some suggestions on what I think you should get if you are a first time buyer.

Picture 1.
[mmg]230[/mmg]

(Please apply the following to all pictures on plugs/poppers that follow.)

The colours in the above pictures are the colours we have found to work best. You will also see that there are different sizes plugs with the same colours.
Buy the right size to the weight rod (your rod is rated to cast a certain weight) you have.
Please don't buy a box full of each, 2 to 3 of a size will suffice.

Picture 2.
[mmg]231[/mmg]

Pencil nose or some call it bullet nose poppers (The sharp nosed ones).
These work excellent on light tackle.

The 2 plugs on the right (round heads).
They tend to work better on med/heavy tackle. (dont buy many of them 1 or 2 max).

Picture 3.
[mmg]261[/mmg]

Just a size comparison.

Picture 4.
[mmg]239[/mmg]

To keep them together I store them like this.

Spoons.

(Apply qty. and weights as explained above).

Pic 1
[mmg]259[/mmg]

Some of the lighter spoons

Pic 2.
[mmg]236[/mmg]

medium spoons.

Pic 3.
[mmg]235[/mmg]

Heavy spoons.
Here you will see a 2 tone spoon (copper on the one side and chrome on the other).( "S" bend )shaped like an "S"
These spoons work great and I will advise you to take at least 2 of them in your weight class.

NBB- Spoons have to be shined to achieve max results - the more they shine the better they work
Artificial/spinner baits
Small fish with bright colours (steel or plastic)
Pic 4.
[mmg]232[/mmg]

Pic 5.
[mmg]233[/mmg]

Should you have the right colour in your box it might end up looking like this one after 10 days.

Pic 6.
[mmg]240[/mmg]

I store them like this.

Drop shot/Buck-tail jigs.

Pic 1.
[mmg]262[/mmg]
Drop shot

Pic 2.
[mmg]260[/mmg]

The brighter neon colours seem to work the best.

NB: If drop-shot is not your discipline do not go and buy a kit for this trip. It is not a must have.

With spinning there are a couple of things that I suggest you make use of.
Pic 1.
[mmg]237[/mmg]

Fast remove clip, snap clip, (has a couple of names).

This clip gets tied to the end of your line and enables you to change spoons, plugs, poppers, etc. without having to individually tie a knot with each change.
Pic 2.
[mmg]238[/mmg]

They are reasonably hard to obtain so source them as early as possible for your trip.

Casting
Glove.

When doing a lot of spinning your finger (line release finger) works hard and tends to get very tender. It is not advisable to install a BIONIC finger on either light or medium spinning rods as this takes up a lot of time for casting.Here I suggest a simple cheap pair of workers gloves. They could be bought at nearly all hardware stores and are really cheap.
Pic 1.[mmg]254[/mmg]
You will see that they are material on the top side and the inner hand is rubber lined. Simply cut off the fingers (EXCEPT your casting finger) and you have an inexpensive protection method for your finger.No matter if it gets wet or you handle fish with it, it keeps working.
Pic 2[mmg]257[/mmg]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:53:13 PM by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

• Administrator
  • Fish Fear Me
    • Anglers Digest
Re: Angola - Tackle - Spinners/Poppers/Spoons etc
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
You've done it again , awesome article

Thanks Simen  :)

Offline dswart

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »
Wow some really good info here!

Simen what is your favourite spoon for shad?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:55:22 PM by Andrew »

Offline Kaspaas

• Been there.. done it.. got the stretch marks!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »
Nice posts Simen. I have only had the privilege to do this trip once and I have to bow to Simen's superior knowledge and experience of what to take along and what works. I would, however like to share with you my experience of what worked for me.

Firstly, the chisel nose plugs in white, neon yellow/green, orange and red worked the best for Garrick during our trip. White had by far the best results. How many should one take along? Take at least five of the major colours mentioned above. If Spyker hadn't brought along a whole box of extra plugs several of us would have had to watch the rest fishing! There are a lot of grass in the water in some areas and I personally probably lost about five to seven plugs during our trip.

Drop shot? I bought a rod and reel and several packets of different "plastics". Tried it a couple of times but eventually gave it up as a bad job. Again the grass messed up things. Ol' Boytjie from Gauteng persisted with his efforts to target Kob with this method and did eventually did manage to catch a couple of smaller sized Kob on drop shot. The larger specimen however came out on chokka. I could have saved probably about R2 000 had I not invested in tackle for this purpose.

The spoons worked on Shad. Any spoon....so take along a couple of different types as Simens suggests. We found that they were somewhat fickle on some days. One had to change spoons several times until you found one that suited their taste on the day.

The chokka had to be very fresh. It is important. The moment it went off colour the Kob simply ignored it. Luckely we could get fresh chokka in the nearest town to Flamingo Lodge.

I used normal elastoplast around my fore finger for casting with braid. It is a must to protect your finger. When you target Shad and Garrick you make a cast every two minutes for the whole day. You will lose all your skin if you don't protect that finger.

Take along spare spinning reels. We had to overhaul our reels every night. Some simply didn't survive the whole trip. Interesting enough the cheaper Penn reels took the hammering better than the substantially more expensive Shimano and Diawa reels. My one Exceller 4000E reel had to have a shaft and some washers replaced on my return to Cape Town.

DO NOT be tempted to do the trip without a wetsuit. I saw chaps that walked like cowboys that had done a herd drive across the whole of Texas after a couple of days. You are in the water all the time and you get covered with sand. You need that protection or you gonna be sorry!! LOL

O yes, take along extra braid. Nothing tests braid more than having to cast all day and fight six to ten kg Garrick in between.

Hmm....that's all I can think of at this stage....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:54:55 PM by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

• Administrator
  • Fish Fear Me
    • Anglers Digest
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
WOW, thanks

Glad you mentioned the wetsuit, almost didn't want to take one, but you have convinced me. ( definitely don't want to walk like a cowboy :) )
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:54:41 PM by Andrew »

Offline Simen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »

My favourite spoon for Shad has to be a 2 tone "S" bend. I have taken Shad by the numbers off the rocks at Pipas as well at the wreck at Vanessa with this.

However the smaller "S" bend (2 oz) works  better than the larger one for Kob. I actually landed 2 smaller Garricks on these spoons while spinning for shad.

Offline Magtellus

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »

My favourite spoon for Shad has to be a 2 tone "S" bend. I have taken Shad by the numbers off the rocks at Pipas as well at the wreck at Vanessa with this.

However the smaller "S" bend (2 oz) works  better than the larger one for Kob. I actually landed 2 smaller Garricks on these spoons while spinning for shad.
Hi Simen,
When using the two-tone S-bend spoon for shad, do you also reel it in slow along the bottom like you would for kob, or do you retrieve it faster?

Offline Simen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
I retrieve much faster than when when spooning for cob.

Cob I try either drag on the bottom with the odd bounce and stop, while for Shad I retrieve much faster.

Retrieve so that the spoon does not break the surface (bounce out). You will feel where your reel actually handles these spoons the best.

Sunny days with bright (clean water) high speed retrieve not all that necessary.

Sunny days with darker water retrieve faster so spoon is closer to the surface and the sun can reflect on it

Offline Arlu

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
Excellent Post Simen!!
This is one area that I don't practise enough, the times that I get to the coast I putt on that choka/sard combo and in she goes!
Will definitely try to be more active with the spoons/spinners.
Just a question can you cast the spoons with a saltiest BG50 or is it not worth it as the reel in process with you needing to guide the line would be a disaster, so the normal "coffi-grinder" is the way to go?
Once again nice post, next weekend I am in Swakopmund hope the cob is there!! Cant wait  ;D

Offline dswart

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
Arlu a friend of mine is magging conventional reels - thus he ads magnets - and you can throw the spoon with out problems fearing an overwind...

Offline Arlu

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
hey ds!
The problem for me is actually not so bad in the casting of the spoon but rather the retrieve part, as in some cases you need to reel fast and to guide the line with your fingers so that its evenly spread on reel, thus making the next cast to be performed without overwinds! I do have an ABU Ambassador with the line guide arm attached to the reel which helps a lot for thus purpose. Unless I miss understood the principle of the magnet.

Offline dswart

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
Ok I see...

Then another proposal will be to get yourself a narrow spool reel with a light spool like an:
Diawa SL 20
Torium 14
Trinnie gold 14
BG 20
ETC
Thus the spreading (reelling in) is happening on a much narrower surface and thus much less of a change doing it wrongly and thus less change of casting a Zoem

Offline Arlu

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »
Thanks that will definitely help with the retrieval, but if I have to get a new reel I will rather get a decent "koffi-grinder".

Offline Andrew

• Administrator
  • Fish Fear Me
    • Anglers Digest
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
 It depends on what you are prepared to spend.  :)